Tuesday 29 June 2010

Relationships

It's inevitable that at some point you'll find someone that you feel strongly about. Whether it's a crush or actual love you may one day end up in a relationship or contemplating one and that's when things get complicated and confusing. There are a lot of factors to consider for a relationship, realistically, but there are also your feelings to think about...that's what's so confusing and turns what should be easy into a terrifying choice: Do you listen to your heart or to your head? Emotion or logic?
As human beings we have the uncanny ability to make split-second decisions and become so smart that we can do the huge feats of flight, planetary exploration and saving lives...but when it comes to love, everyone's a fool. I'd like to think that I'm a logical person and that I can present a well balanced argument to come to a conclusion that makes sense. Hopefully you noticed the words 'I'd like to'. Obscuring any specific details, as I like to for this blog, there is someone I like that likes me back and we have discussed the idea of dating (though not in such a business-like way as I seem to write it). After this discussion is when my heart and my head began to fight it out and, so far, there's no winner.
My heart tells me that love could be good, it tells me that I like this person and that I should, for once, go for love and enjoy what it might bring...but there's also the possibility that things might not turn out well, so emotionally I feel reluctant because I don't want to get hurt. Nothing's certain or factual, but it's emotional and emotions make up for a lot...so I shouldn't ignore how I feel.
Cardiac muscle aside though, my cranial cavity is toiling away at my conundrum to no avail weighing up the pros and cons. This person doesn't smoke, they don't do drugs, they live close by and we have similar interests...those are all things/qualities that I've said, for a while, someone I date must do/have. I get on with this person like a friend and I've always had the view that at the core of a good relationship is a great friendship, so I dunno if we've got a 'great' friendship but we have one and it works. This person has said that they like to drink, though, and that's when my doubts started to sprout. Drinking doesn't make a bad person, I know that, and I'd be hard pushed to find a teenager that doesnt like to drink, so I don't really have a problem with it... but this is where my heart and my head start to link, I guess, because although I know it's not a problem I can't shake a worried feeling about it. Whether I'm right or wrong, it's there, and it says something about me.
I've never been good at making big decisions, I overthink things, worry and doubt myself so much that it become impossible. So what should I do? It seems like it's another gamble. Should I bet it all and risk losing, or fold and stay safe? I just don't know.

-Aiden

No comments:

Post a Comment