Saturday 2 April 2011

Constants And Change

It's an irrefutable fact that, in life, things change. Your surroundings, your friends (both who they are and what they're like), your family, even your own body (both inside and out). It seems that the one thing in our lives we can't change is the fact that there is change. Change is, ironically, the constant in our lives.
What got me thinking about constants to our lives was the fact that there was so much change going on around me. I'm the kind of person that likes to have some control over my life, some kind of routine that keeps me grounded and gives me some sense of security over my life, and lately there's been a dramatically huge lack of that. Turbulent changes, events and experience have rocked the air cabin of my life and, although I still feel very much on course, it feels like my faith in the world has been shaken more than slightly. In my search to feel better about what I was doing I started to think about my life and try and find any comforting constants in there that I could seek refuge in. Of course, there were many things that had stayed the same in my life (I go to college, I come home, I go to regular, timetabled lessons etc.) but, for some reason, none of these situational constants seemed to be enough for me, as if I needed something big to make up for all of the constant change in my life and the changes that I know are going to happen later on in the year. Once it gets to September at college again, the number of friends I have is going to plummet drastically from around 14 to 4. Granted, most of these people that are leaving aren't going to university so I'll still get to see them but, within college, things are going to become quite lonely and it's going to take a lot of effort outside of college to still get to see all of the friends I want to. Whether I'd be able to handle that, I don't quite know, but that's the reality of what I'd have to do.
Coming back from my tangent, however, I found that the best constant in my life was in the form of a friend at college whom I've grown very close to this year who is also going to be at college next year. This may not be the epically gigantic constant that I was looking for in my life but, as I've learned many times from maths, constants can be very small or very large but, at the end of the day, no matter what happens they're still there. So although my constant isn't quite as gargantuan in magnitude as I had searched for, I think that the friend I have is exactly the constant I need. Someone that's going to be there, whom I can talk to and confide in, have a good laugh with and even bitch to about my problems. The same goes vice versa for her, of course, but at the end of the day what better constant in your life could there be apart from one good friend that you love?
As a message to everyone out there, something I try to do with my posts, I think the lesson here would be one that many people have heard before but never really taken on board: Often in life, if you look hard enough, you'll find that the thing you want most is often right in front of you and you completely miss it. In my search for a constant I ended up missing out on the one I already had, I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment