Wednesday 6 April 2011

History - We learn from the past so as to not repeat its mistakes

It's a phrase that I've heard a lot in my life, whether rephrased or implied metaphorically, I've always thought that it's a lesson that holds true for everyone and that applies on many levels: If we learn from the things we have done in the past, we can avoid making the same mistakes again. The part of my interpretation that brought about this particular post was that it 'applies on many levels' because this week I managed to hopefully look at the past and stop myself making mistakes that would bring me a lot of disappointment. Once again, just to forwarn, I'm talking about my love life. In the past two relationships I've had (what I would probably call my only two other relationships) they have been with people that have seen me a very extensive amount and whom have been very talkative with me online or via text. The social interaction was good, I never shied away from it for the most part, and I became very used to it and comfortable with it. Obviously, given that they're former relationships, things didn't last and now, in the present, I find myself with someone who has a different level of communication with me. We don't see each other as much as my past relationships, nor do we talk online as much, and for a while this slightly bothered me and led me to message him to the point where I was worried that I was becoming annoying. The other night, though, I had an epiphany about the whole situation and realised something: It's not that he was interacting with me on a low maintenance level... it's that I was just too used to a high maintenance level. It began to dawn on me, as I thought on things, that the amount that we talk and the amount that we see each other is, although reduced due to certain events, actually very reasonable. If I text or message, he'll reply if I really need him to and- if it's not urgent- he'll reply in his own time. In a week we might see each other for at least 3 days and next week we're going away for a week (with family), so it's not like I'm deprived of seeing him on any level and it's this realisation that led me to the conclusion above: I've become too used to seeing my partners a lot. How this links into 'learning from the past' might not seem clear at first but, to me, the realisation in itself was learning from my past because, for all I know, the reason why those relationships ended could be because I saw my partners too much. It's very easily done to end up seeing someone so much you start to dislike them, we've all done it. This lesson I've learnt from my past, I hope, will let me make things better in my present because I know now that all I need to do is learn to relax a little bit with my relationship. Things won't crumble or fall if I don't see or talk to someone every day of the week, which is probably another good lesson for me to learn through all of this. I'm not under the assumption that if I change this one thing that I've found 'the one' or anything, that'd be a bit unrealistic and hard to determine, but I've got no doubts that if I change this one thing then I could be very happy for quite a while with him...and I know that wouldn't be a bad thing at all to me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment